Monday, November 4, 2019

AZ Trip #27: Sasaparilla and the Tombstone Court House

Rob and Dan enjoy a sasparilla
In today's blog we're close to wrapping up our visit to the amazing southern Arizona town
 called Tombstone. Today we'll tell you about a sarsaparilla tradition that Dan started and show you the courthouse... which is a place that I had an odd remembrance of the first time I visited.

WHAT IS SARSAPARILLA? - Sarsaparilla is a carbonated soft drink originally made from the native Central American plant smilax ornata. ... Associated with the Old West, sarsaparilla was popular in the United States in the 19th century. Sarsaparilla is now generally made with artificial flavors and is considered a type of root beer. 
  The one time Dan visited Tombstone was a brief stop into a saloon to have a sarsaparilla, so we thought it a fitting way to wrap up our time there... and that's what we did. I've never tasted sarsaparilla before, and it was pretty good!

MY 1993 VISIT ODD EXPERIENCE- I realized I previously lived in Tombstone in the 1880s in a past life when I visited Tombstone for the first time. I remember just arriving in town and someone asked me where the court house was located. I told them to walk 2 block and turn left down the street and it was 2 blocks down. There was no way I could have known that because I just came into town, yet I gave someone directions! I remember walking the way I directed the person, and sure enough, that's exactly where the courthouse was located!
So, we walked back to the courthouse to get a look at it.








A Tombstone street
THE TOMBSTONE COURT HOUSE - Built in 1882 in the shape of a Roman cross, the two-story Victorian structure once housed the offices of the sheriff, recorder, treasurer, board of supervisors, jail, and courtrooms of Cochise County. Today, the 12,000 square foot courthouse is a museum filled with the glitter and guns of those who tamed the territory.
The Tombstone court house
   Exhibits portray the authentic history of Tombstone as a frontier silver mining boomtown. Learn about miners, cattlemen and pioneers, and see a reproduction of the courtroom and sheriff’s office.Displays include a tax license for operating a brothel and an invitation to a hanging. A replica of the gallows in the courtyard represents where seven men were hanged. Website: http://tombstonecourthouse.com/

SUNSET - I will say that Arizona had some spectacular sunsets. There's a picture of one below from our hotel window in Tombstone. 

NEXT: The Pinal Airpark Graveyard

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy