Thursday, December 10, 2015

Christmas Cookies and Memories!

Rob and Tom cookie-ready!
On Sunday, Dec. 6 we baked homemade sugar cookies. My (Rob) office hosts a holiday cookie swap
-hosted by my friend Lynn, who also loves cookies, and everyone makes a dozen cookies for everyone in the swap. So, it could be a massive baking effort!  Fortunately, this year there are 8 people in the swap.
   Tom doesn't bake, but he volunteered to help, since we needed to crank out 84 cookies for the swap (and any extra for us). Originally, I was going to make Oatmeal with cranberries (my concoction), but our friend Jeff said "sugar cookies are for Christmas."
baking in the oven!
   ROB'S MEMORIES - So, we made sugar cookies, just like my mom did when I was a kid in the 1960s/70s. I used to help my mom bake, which is where I developed my love for the art. Mom had a cookie press from the 1960s, with different cookie patterns, like a star, wreath, christmas tree, star, camel, etc. Mom also made a sugar/vanilla glaze that she coated each cookie with, and then put sprinkles on them. So, that's what we did!
The finished, glazed and sprinkled cookies!
TEAMWORK! 
   I made the dough, and after an hour in the fridge we put it in the press and Tom squeezed out the cookies as I decorated the finished batches. It took about 4 hours with teamwork, and we made about 120 or so cookies. Of course, I ate 4 immediately!
  So, it was great to have Tom helping and Mom's spirit around!

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy