Thursday, August 22, 2013

UK Trip Blog #44: Fun Concert in a King's Palace

Cliff Richard in Concert! Yay!!
The event that we built this trip around had finally come on the day we visited Hampton Court Palace. I (Rob) have been a HUGE fan of the U.K. superstar singer Cliff Richard since I first heard "We Don't Talk Anymore" in 1979. Not only do I love his smooth vocals, but he's incredibly handsome- from his teens to today at 72 (I hope I look that good at 72!).
   Cliff had about 8 hits in the U.S.A. for some reason, but in the U.K. he's been bigger than Elvis was here. Cliff's first hit happened in 1958 when he was 18, so he's been singing for 57 years and has had number 1 hits in each decade in the U.K.
Rob and Tom ready for the rainy outdoor concert
An Amazing setting!
A fan going through the parking lot
   HOW IT HAPPENED: Back in November I learned that Cliff was giving a concert at our favorite castle of Henry VIII's: Hampton Court Palace. So, Tom contacted our friend Anne Marie Clarke at Across the Pond Tours and she put together this vacation (ATPvacations.com). She built an amazing vacation from Scotland down to England and got us great tickets to the Cliff Richard concert! 


1963 movie poster from Summer Holiday!
    "A WALKER?" - Although Tom was familiar with Cliff Richard because I have about 20 of his CDs, what he didn't expect was that the audience would range from 20-somethings to retirees. Of course, with a career of 57 years, of course Cliff would have senior fans. The first clue to that happened when we were sitting in the car in the parking lot, waiting for a downpour to end before we went into the concert. That's when we saw an elderly woman in a rain hat slowly making her way across the parking lot using a walker! Tom looked at me and said "What the hell have you taken me to?"

    "SUMMER HOLIDAY"  VIDEO TIDBIT: One of Cliff's early songs that I really love is "Summer Holiday." (Brits call a "vacation" "on holiday" if you didn't know that).  This song was actually the title to a February, 1963 British film that Cliff Richard starred in, and I've also inserted the movie poster here so you can get a feel for it.   The short video I took at the concert won't play for some reason, so here's one from YOU TUBE that has footage from the movie. I think this song is so simple and sing-able (of course, your opinion may differ - but hey, it makes me sing!).

NEXT: MUSICAL TIDBITS FROM THE CONCERT AND COOL PHOTOS 











Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy