Sunday, February 27, 2011

Some Interesting Things from the GOP Today

I'm in the process of reading the March 7, 2011 issue of TIME magazine (which lately has been pro-GOP a lot) and learned some interesting things that I thought I'd share with you.
1) "Three programs that the House GOP put on the chopping block [in the budget cuts]: (see page 18 of TIME) 1)HUD-VASH program to house homeless veterans 2) USDA Food Inspections 3) Nuclear Weapons Safety.  The first one would be wiped to Zero dollars, and the last two, to less about 1% of current total budget.

I THINK THE CUTS SHOULD COME FROM REDUCING TAX CUTS TO OIL COMPANIES AND REDUCING FARM SUBSIDIES (that the GOP won't touch for some reason... Can someone enlighten me why those 2 items are untouchable?)
MY QUESTIONS/THOUGHTS:
1)  I thought the GOP was once known as the "Military Party." To throw Veterans out of shelters that the Gov't created for them and make them homeless again is NOT a way to thank our Veterans. I think the GOP can no longer claim to be the "Military Party." -  
2) Regarding #2, the USDA Food Inspections - Um... in the last couple of years didn't we have tainted produce (chili peppers, lettuce, tomatoes) and meat that all sickened and  killed some people? Isn't that why we "beefed up" (pun intended) the Food Inspections?
3) Nuclear Weapons Safety - Um... isn't that still a concern?
**If anyone can offer any insight into these things, please share. I'd like to be educated on both sides of the issue.
********************************************
POTENTIAL GOP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE? - On page 8 of TIME I read that Indiana's Mitch Daniels may be considered to run for President in 2012 against President Obama. What I ALSO read was that "HE was the budget director for George W. Bush and the architect of the Bush tax cuts, which turned the Clinton surpluses into deficits..."  UM... I don't think he's a good choice to FIX the economy. Just my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy