Thursday, February 10, 2011

NY Having a Tough Time Keeping Political People!

New York has had a tough time retaining Congressmen. A year ago Democrat Eric Massa resigned after being accused of  sexually harassing male staffers (no verdict yet, and extremely wrong and Stupid if true... which it likely is because he resigned). This week,  Rep. Christopher Lee, a two-term Republican sent a shirtless picture to a woman in Md. and claimed he was divorced (he's married with a son). He also resigned.  
(Photo RIGHT: I will say, though, he's in great shape.)
 Of course, both of these actions are totally inappropriate and they should resign. But it continues to show that all of our elected officials are human and do stupid things. What I don't understand is why these people don't realize they're public figures and everything they do is going to be analyzed. 
Here's the article from the blog beautymania:
 A married New York congressman accused of sending a shirtless photo of himself to a woman abruptly resigned Wednesday, saying he regretted actions that had hurt his family and others.
The gossip website Gawker reported Wednesday that Rep. Christopher Lee, a two-term Republican with a young son, had e-mailed the photo to a woman he met on the Craigslist classified-ads website.
Lee said in an e-mailed statement that his resignation was effective immediately. The statement offered no confirmation or details of a Craigslist posting.
“I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents,” Lee said in a statement posted on his congressional website. “I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness.”
Lee said the challenges faced in western New York, where he serves the 26th Congressional District, and across the country are “too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately.”
Lee’s resignation comes almost a year after Democrat Eric Massa resigned his seat in western New York’s 29th Congressional District amid an investigation into whether he sexually harassed male staffers. Massa gave contradictory explanations for his behavior, acknowledging he groped and tickled a staffer in a nonsexual way and wrestled with others at his 50th birthday party but then denying any groping occurred.
In Lee’s case, a woman described as a 34-year-old Maryland resident and government employee provided Gawker with e-mails she said were an exchange between her and Lee in response to an ad she placed last month in the “Women Seeking Men” section of Craigslist.
Gawker reported that Lee identified himself as a divorced lobbyist and sent a photo of himself posing shirtless in front of a mirror. It said the woman eventually broke off the contact with Lee after becoming suspicious that he had misrepresented himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy