Friday, September 11, 2009

Our Reception - Part 5- A Great Cake...and the Challenge


One thing about organizing our wedding reception, was that it involved a caterer, string quartet , singer, and music organization. It also involved ordering the right amount of chairs and tables, linens, chair covers, and working with a florist. All of this took months. One that that was interesting to me, was the cake. I'm a cake-a-holic anyway. I LOVE cake. -BUT... I'm lactose intolerant.
While looking for a cake, I went to about 5 or 6 big, expensive cake shops around the Baltimore-Washington area, and there are a number of them. One of them is even featured on a Cable-TV program. However, the answer was always the same: "We use butter cream frosting on the cakes, and won't make anything non-dairy. PERIOD."
I was stunned. Didn't they want more business? Especially in THIS tough economy?
Couldn't they make an exception, or TRY to please a customer? NO.
Further, a CNN story came out this week and stated as many as 60% of caucasian Americans have some degree of lactose intolerance, about 80% African-American, and 100% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant. That's a Lot of lost business.
After all of the expensive places, I tried our local Giant Food supermarket, and wound up ordering it from the lead baker, Cindy. She accommodated us with 'no dairy' whereas other places refused. The cake had a white and yellow theme for our wedding, and raspberry filling, too. Cindy helped us decide about a border, and suggested we put our initials on the top of the cake- and we agreed.
The bottom line is that businesses need to be more accommodating if they want to stay in business. I would recommend Cindy and Giant Food's bakery in a heartbeat. I wouldn't give you two cents for all of the haughty, snooty bakeries I contacted though, and to be nice, I won't name 'em.
Next time I want a great tasting cake I can eat without getting sick (bloating, etc.), I'm going to Giant Food's Bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy