Tuesday, June 23, 2009

TMJ and Nails

Two quick thoughts this morning: TMJ and toenails. Nope, they're not related!
NAILING THE NAILS- First, a funny story about doggy toenails that happened this morning. I don't like cutting our dog's toenails/claws and they don't like it either. However, it was time for a trim for our Weimaraner, Dolly. So, while they were sitting on their bed in the kitchen after Tom left for work (and I was getting ready) I had some time to trim their nails. As soon as I took out the clipper, Franklin, our dachshund, ran into the bedroom and hid under the bed! Dolly lay on her bed and let me clip her nails awaiting her treats. It wasn't until after Franklin heard me put the clippers away that he slinked back out into the kitchen. :)
TMJ PAIN REDUCTION! "Popping Jaw" - If you have Tempomandibular blah-blah you know that one of the joints in your jaw pops out when you open your mouth too wide. I have it, and have had it for 20 years, so going to the dentist is unpleasant, because your jaw sometimes pops and stays open. Over the past 2 weeks, I've had pain in what feels like three lower teeth (one is a dead tooth/root canal) and my jaw joint, so I've been trying to figure out what's going on. I happened to mention it to the chiropractor I've been seeing for my neck and he said Chiropractors treat TMJ. DUH! I didn't even think about it. So he showed me an exercise to stretch the mouth muscle that pulls the jaw out of the socket, and loosen the muscle. IT WORKED! After 2 days, no more headaches, no tooth pain. That tension the mouth muscle put on the gums, created pain around the teeth. Wow.
If you have TMJ, open your mouth and stick your index finger against the back part of your cheek. You'll feel a muscle that stretches across from top back to front bottom. Push on that and stretch it. It will relax the muscle and pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy