Tuesday, June 2, 2009

MD Looking into Recognizing Out-of-state gay marriages

Big kudos to the MD Attorney General and his office. I called MD Atty General Doug Gansler's office today in support of recognizing gay marriages from out of state. They transferred me into the executive offices and I spoke to a really nice woman about it, who asked some questions and asked for my name, town, and contact info, which I gave her. She thanked me very much for calling. - I told her we really appreciate the AG's efforts, and look forward to utilizing that law (should it come to pass). Here's the story from the Associated Press 6:20 AM CDT, June 1, 2009:
Md. AG considers recognizing gay marriages
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler is looking into whether the state can recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, and his office plans to issue an opinion in the coming weeks.
State law defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, but Maryland also sticks to a long-standing legal principle that generally acknowledges couples married elsewhere.
Gansler, a Democrat, supports gay marriage. While Maryland has extended a variety of protections to same-sex couples in recent years, it has stopped short of legalizing marriages or civil unions. Gov. Martin O'Malley, also a Democrat, supports the latter.
FULL STORY: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-md-gaymarriage-recog,0,3149391.story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy