Wednesday, December 3, 2008

On a Crazy "Qwest" with a Funny Ending

On Monday, while Tom was having cataract surgery, I used the time to get my blood drawn for my upcoming physical later this week. I was instructed to go to the "QWEST Laboratory" in Annapolis, not too far from the hospital where Tom was. - So, I checked the address on line, and also jotted down the phone number.
Tom and I got to the hospital early, so we decided to see exactly where the Qwest lab was, and we drove to the appropriate address. Knowing where it was, we drove back to the hospital, and checked him in. I then left for the lab.
When I arrived, I checked the directory, and there was no listing for Qwest labs. I called the phone number listed on the Internet, and it was a Fax machine. Hmmm. So, after walking through the building, I came across someone from another office who told me Qwest moved to "888 Bestgate Road." I thanked her and went back to Bestgate road (also still close to the hospital). I parked my pickup truck, went inside and again, no listing on the business directory. Hmm. Fortunately, I remembered the "order request" from my doctor, and on the back in tiny print was a main phone number. I called it, and got connected 3 or 4 times, finally to the Annapolis office of Qwest. Turns out it was about 5 minutes down the street.
Despite taking 40 minutes to find a place almost basically near the hospital (if ONLY they updated their website), my wait inside was relatively short.
HOWEVER, a young man who was there to have blood drawn, and who had downs syndrome (I think) was called in to have blood drawn before the waiting room started filling up with walk ins. The waiting room was packed with people and the boy was in the lab with a nurse (behind a door to the waiting room). Out of the dead quiet the boy shrieked and shrill screamed when the nurse was obviously taking his blood.
The faces of people (who didn't know the boy had downs or came in after he went behind the door into the lab) in the waiting room were looks of sheer Horror!! That made the extra 40 minutes to get there worth it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy