Friday, May 14, 2021

A Serious Observation: Selfishness, Consequences

This week I shared a story about the extreme selfishness people showed during the southeastern gas distribution problem. In my irritation and disgust (because I had 1/4 tank of gas and couldn't get any because I ran into hoarders of a specific calling) I also made an inaccurate reference, which I corrected (and thanks to my friend Dana for pointing it out) -People from all walks of life can be selfish. The point of today's blog is "Don't be Selfish." There are consequences as one driver learned the hard way when his gas-hoarded vehicle caught fire (See below).  After all, didn't we learn to share in Kindergarten?   READ ON>

DEFINED: Selfishness is being concerned excessively or exclusively, for oneself or one's own advantage, pleasure, or welfare, regardless of others. Selfishness is the opposite of altruism or selflessness; and has also been contrasted with self-centeredness.

THIS WEEK'S APPALLING BEHAVIOR:  Here in the Mid-Atlantic and southeastern U.S., buying gasoline wasn't a problem until people's selfish nature came out and some people ran to the gas stations and hoarded gasoline to take it away from others. The very same thing was evidenced when the Pandemic hit hard in March 2020. We all remember how people ran to grocery stores and wiped out toilet paper, cleaning supplies, fresh meats and even carrots for cripes sake. 

PLEASE THINK OF OTHERS - I surround myself with people who are good-hearted, who are unselfish, who care for others. That's the way everyone should be (at least in a perfect world). It doesn't take much. Call a friend who is sick, help someone find a COVID vaccine - like my friend Lynn did 6 weeks ago for us; and I managed to pay that forward this week. Help a friend pay a bill. Buy them a meal if they're hungry. We've done these things and it makes the world lighter. 

No one is perfect. But by not being selfish, we make the world a better place. 


A Side Note and Apology:  
On a social post, I referred to the selfish people as followers of a political figure. That wasn't how I meant it, and I apologized and fixed it to say "selfish people." It was not intended as a slam against the people who voted for him (I know people who did and understand why - a good reason - they wanted a Washington outsider). I meant those who still support the current bad behavior and selfishness the person continues to show. I will be more mindful. 

BOTTOM LINE:  Selfish people are not defined by politics, race, gender, sexuality, religion or occupation. Selfish people are found in all walks of life.

KARMA CATCHES UP - I always say that karma is real. In the news this week, a Florida resident with a Humvee filled 4 cannisters with 20 gallons of gasoline to hoard it. The incident happened at a Texaco gas station in Homosassa, Florida.   Here's the story: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/13/hummer-h2-burns-hoarded-gas/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy