Sunday, August 6, 2017

Who was the actor who played Superboy in the unaired 1961 Pilot?

Yesterday we posted the 29 minute video of the unaired 1961 TV pilot of Superboy. I got curious about the actor, though. His name is Johnny Rockwell!  Here's an article from the "Superman Super Site" that explains who he is and how he wound up doing the show. (the pilot was good, so see yesterday's blog to watch it). - Rob
Johnny Rockwell, then and now

Meet the Actor Who Played Superboy for a 1961 One-Shot TV Episode
 

Johnny Rockwell starred as Superboy in the unaired pilot for 1961's Adventures of Superboy. The plot revolves around Jimmy, Clark Kent and Lana Lang's friend, being ashamed that his father works as a doorman at the Smallville Theater. His opinion changes when Superboy is able to thwart a robbery with Jimmy's father's help.
"I first studied acting with Agnes Moorehead at 20th Century Fox and then did a Playhouse 90 show as an extra. Paul Newman was the star and he suggested to me that I go back to New York and study with Sandy Meisner. It just so happened that Sandy once came out to see him, and I said, “I want to be in this class.” They said, “We're only taking professionals,” but I talked my way into the class. And who was in the class... Barbara Rush, John Erickson, Dyan Cannon and Terry Moore... a few people. Before the Superboy pilot, I did a few things at ZIV, including Lockup, with MacDonald Carey. I also studied at Warner Brothers. They had an acting school. Ty Hardin and I did a film together called As Young As You Are for Paramount.
Stills from the TV show

"When Superboy was casting, I was on the lot working on a pilot called Time Out for Ginger. As soon as I heard about the part being available, I went over and found out where the office was on a break. I walked in and Whitney Ellsworth was playing gin rummy with the head of the studio. I told him, “You don't have to look any further. I can fly.” I was also a very good gin player at the time, so I said I would play the winner. Whit won, so I started playing him and began winning. At that point I more or less knew I had the job. I did have to read a few lines, but I think I got the job because I was a good gin player.” – Johnny Rockwell, Superboy 

Source: http://www.supermansupersite.com/rockwell.html

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy