Tuesday, July 23, 2024

My Experience: The Ghost in the Counting House Museum

 In Yesterday's blog, I told you about the historic Counting House, a building used for the financial records of a cotton Mill that once stood nearby in South Berwick, Maine and Rollingsford, New Hampshire. Today's blog is about the ghost I encountered and fun with friends who visited.

(Photo: Second floor of the Counting House where Rob sensed the male ghost. Credit: RG)

 The Ghost in the Counting House Museum

When I explored the exhibits on the first floor of the Counting House and spoke with the 3 volunteer docents, I didn't sense any ghosts who had stayed behind. I took the time to read about the exhibits and thought nothing of ghosts. I was more interested in the history. It wasn't until I took the stairs to the second floor, when that all changed.
(Photo: Clock in the corner of the 2nd floor of the Counting House. Credit: RG)      
 (Photos: Two paintings of men who managed the counting house. Credit: TC)                                                                                                                                                  
FIGURING OUT THE GHOST - As a medium, the first thing I can usually sense is if the earthbound ghost is male or female, which was definitely a male. The second floor was used  as a ballroom for events when it wasn't being used as offices.I tried to connect the male ghost with someone who worked at the Counting House, which is a logical conclusion.  

While walking around on the second floor, I clearly heard the name "Abbott." Then I heard the male ghost say "George." So, either the ghost was George Abbott, or he was a Mr. Abbott and he was calling for "George." 

PHOTO TEST -   Tracey and Rob sent me photos of paintings that hung in the Counting House and asked me if the ghost was either of them, but he was not. 

A SURPRISING ANSWER TO PONDER- When I returned home to write this blog, I did a search through the "Old Berwick Historical Society" website for the name George Abbott. What I found surprised me. George W Abbott passed as an infant and was the child of Nicholas and Mary Ann Abbott who lived on South Portland Street in Berwick, Maine. 

IDENTITY QUESTIONS REMAIN - There are 2 solutions to the identity of this ghost. 1) The ghost is that of Nicholas Abbott, the father, who remained earthbound and cries out in pain after losing his son as an infant. OR 2) The ghost is George Abbott, the infant (who appears as an adult - because they can) who followed his father to the Counting House, got lost and distracted and remained behind. 

CONCLUSION:  Because I can't be certain until I go back and ask more questions, I would bet that the ghost is the father of the infant, who stayed behind.
ABOUT THE DATABASE:  This cemetery database is based on Old Berwick Historical Society archives, particularly "The South Berwick (Maine) Record Book," a 1967 survey by John Eldridge Frost, with updates by historical society volunteers.  Records here reflect inscriptions on graves in Old Fields Burying Ground, Portland Street Cemetery, Freewill Baptist Cemetery, Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Woodlawn Cemetery, and many small burial plots scattered throughout South Berwick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy