|Ladies in Waiting Dormitory|
LADIES IN WAITING BUILDING - Outside of Leeds Castle was a "Ladies in Waiting Dormitory." This is the building that house the female attendants to the Queen Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's First Wife.
Here's some more history about Leeds Castle. According to the BBC, "Henry was responsible for transforming the fortified medieval castle into a royal palace. He spent huge amounts of money on the castle, and the building was a statement of wealth, especially his use of glass, which was very much a status symbol in Tudor times.
Henry changed the downstairs rooms to become grand reception rooms introducing fire places into the main rooms, which originally had high vaulted ceilings. He added the second floor into the same space and created a whole suite of rooms upstairs for his then first wife, Catherine of Aragon. A new chapel and stables were also built on the central island.
All this work was done for a visit in May in 1520 when he was on his on his way to France, with an entourage of over 5000 people. He spent only one night at Leeds Castle and in 1553, Henry's son gave the castle away."
In this video, Tom describes the building and history.