Friday, April 9, 2010

Dogs are as Smart as 5 year olds

Some dogs really are as smart (or smarter) than 5 year old human children, just as DVM Stanley Coren wrote in his book "The Intelligence of Dogs." Case in point:
Last night our 5 year old Weimaraner Dolly woke me up at 2:30 a.m. She stood on my side of the bed panting. That's how she's started to signal me in the middle of the night that she has to go outside and isn't feeling well. I let her outside and she had to throw up. It's not only that action, but what she did when she came inside.

Flashback to three weeks ago. She woke me then when she wasn't feeling well at 1 a.m. I let her out then, and she threw up (she loves to eat grass every couple of weeks). When she came inside, she was shivering, so I took her into our upstairs TV room and laid down on her large bed with her, and covered the both of us with blankets. I held her that night for hours until she got comfortable, and we both went to sleep.
Back to last night - When she came in from outside she remembered that one time we went upstairs and she headed for the upstairs TV room! She KNEW that I would sleep on her upstairs bed with her and comfort her. Last night, I decided to just stay with her on her downstairs bed in our room, so I took a blanket and covered us, and we fell asleep until we had to get up at 4:30am to start the day. She was feeling warm and much better by that time.
Our dog Dolly truly is as smart as a 5 year old human child! Anyone that tells you that dogs are not, simply doesn't know a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy