Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Conversation: Choosing Our Behavior / the Afterlife

On Sunday morning over breakfast, Tom and I had a conversation about the different levels of places people go in the afterlife. He's currently reading a book about "Karma and the Afterlife" by a Japanese author (It was translated into English). our friend Lynn J. gave it the book to us, and it's interesting that even in Japan the afterlife is viewed the same way by professionals investigating people's experiences. The author says that there are 3 levels of the afterlife: lower, middle and higher. Similar to Hell, Heaven and Perfection.
Tom said that the book went onto say that people who are negative or morally corrupt (or just evil) go to the lowest area. They can't get to the higher areas, closer to perfection until they come back to Earth and live another life- going through life's trials and maybe getting it more "right."
I agree with the coming back to Earth in another life to do a better job of learning how to live better - showing more love and compassion for each other, being more loving, thankful and optimistic about life, no matter what you're dealt.
I'm not sure I agree with "three places" people's spirits go. I think that our spirits go to two places, either into the light or into the darkness. In the light, spirits are judged for their behaviors on Earth and their conscience places them on different "levels" in the light. As Betty Eadie mentioned in the book "Embraced by the Light," we choose to come back to Earth to try and live a better life the next go 'round. Before we come back in another life we know the challenges we're going to face, either with a physical or mental disorder, healthy yet impoverished, struggling to find love, a decade-long search for a good job (I can relate to that), even being born into a difficult family. All because we know there's a lesson we need to learn to achieve a higher level of understanding life.
That's why everyone goes through the trials in life, although many of them seem unjustified and unfair. We know friends that have illnesses that you would think would make them depressed or mad at the world, but two of them I'm thinking of are the MOST loving, wonderful, optimistic people. They radiated love. They know the secret of life.
I, myself have gone through periods in my own life where I should have been miserable - hiding who I am and being scared and unable to live the way that would make me happy. I realize that was wrong and I wasted a lot of time, but I enjoyed every day. I also came out of that time appreciating life every day. During another period, I lived off student loans while getting my degree in meteorology, eating tuna fish and ramen noodles while working 2 part-time jobs that barely paid my rent and car insurance. But I was thankful I was able to do it.
Tom and I know of people who have great jobs and houses, not having to worry about where their next meal is coming from, but are totally miserable. They're healthy for the most part, but can't find much positive about their lives. Some haven't found love, others found it and left it behind, and just dwell on what they don't have, instead of appreciating anything they DO have.
There are a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck, who choose what bills to pay, decide on food or electricity- but somehow they remain optimistic. It's all how you look at life.
A friend told me several times that a friend of his said often "I can't be as happy as Rob. It's not natural." Well, it is natural. You can choose to be thankful for a sunrise, or a hot cup of coffee, or getting green lights on your commute, or having a dog or cat to hug, an email from a friend, or a book or TV show you liked.
Find the simple things in life that make you happy and RECOGNIZE them.
The bottom line: You can CHOOSE to be happy, or choose to be miserable. I choose and have always chosen to be happy. You can, too. It will not only improve YOUR life, but people will want to be around you much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy