Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Bad Dental Week - finally... Relief!

You've already read about my emergency root canal earlier in the week. Well just when I thought things were better...last night, after the novacaine wore off, I got a stabbing, searing pain in the left side of my head! I knew that this was not due to the root canal procedure. In fact, the pain from the root canal had subsided. I knew what this was and I dreaded it. It was a molar.
Months ago, I had to have a large filling replaced in a back molar. Since it was replaced, the sensitivity in the tooth has increased to the point where I just didn't chew on it. I knew it needed a root canal, but I had the other tooth in the front to worry about since that one was actually hurting. Apparently, the drilling from the root canal earlier this week into the front tooth 4 positions over on the same side (and on the bottom) pegged the sensitivity meter to 10! The headache was SEARING. I took 2 Percocets last night and still felt it. I applied a cold compact, I took Motrin, I paced and paced the floor all night. I finally called Maryland Oral Surgery Associates http://www.mosa4os.com/, a local dental surgeon, at 5:30am (emergency line), and talked with a great doctor. He said, "Yes, the tooth needs to come out," and yes, that can happen. I called back at 8am and got a 9:30am appointment.
Fortunately, my mother-in-law (I like saying that!), Ruth, was home and agreed to drive me. She stayed with me during the procedure, took me to the pharmacy, and brought me home. I truly have the greatest in-laws. Her husband,Bob, reminds me of my dad who passed one year ago next week.
The folks at Maryland Oral Surgery were great. (They have locations in Crofton, Silver Spring, Greenbelt, Laurel, and College Park). I took the nitrous oxide and just felt tingling and felt the pressure when the tooth was removed. When I was under, I sensed that Ed, Tom's late partner, was there with me - I saw his face in the haze in my eyes. It was a comfort to me. Later that night, before I told Tom about Ed's appearance, Tom mentioned to me that we should call Ed's dad, Tom, because Tom is a pharmacist - to check out what I was prescribed. There is no such thing as a coincidence.
Anyway, it's 10 hours later and I slept most of the day, ate oatmeal, and drank water.
When the tooth was removed, there were three immediate benefits: 1) the headache vanished 2) The old root canal (dead tooth) stopped hurting and 3) the swollen glands in my throat started going down.
As for why I didn't get a root canal in it? With TMJ, keeping my mouth open for a molar root canal would hurt as much as the procedure on the tooth. Besides, my dentist was on vacation today. :) It will be nice to sleep tonight without the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy