Wednesday, April 2, 2008

LASIK Surgery- Keep your Eye on the Truth

Today I had my 2nd consultation for proposed Lasik eye surgery, hoping to toss out my glasses. Well, it looks like I'll always be Clark Kent for the rest of my life, but that's okay.
As with anything, it's BEST to get TWO professional opinions. I did. The first one, at Lasik Plus, said that I'm a candidate for the PRK, eye-scrubbing type surgery - and I wondered about it, so I got a second consultation at TLC Laser Center in Annapolis, Md. today.
(LEFT: Dolly and I as Krypto and Superman in Baltimore, July 2007)
The doctor at TLC pointed out that eyes are either rounded or oval (mine are oval) and that they have ridges and valleys (miniscule ones).
What's most important in LASIK is that they need to be symmetrical (identical ridges and valleys) on each half of your eye (when you separate it down the middle). Like Lasik Plus, they took soundings of the eye to determine shape, thickness, and "topography." TLC's doctor, however, showed me that each side was NOT identical in topography, and said that I am NOT a good candidate for the surgery. She said it can be done, but in 4 years, my vision would be worse than it is now. I didn't get any of that from the first place.
The doctor at TLC further said that she cares about people and wouldn't convince people to have the surgery if they didn't need it, and I don't. So, after this free exam (which was elaborate and 45 minutes), I paid nothing, and left feeling great that I actually got a doctor that wasn't in it for the money, but really, really cared about people.
Anyway, in work they call me "Superman," but will always see me as Clark Kent with the glasses. However, when I'm needed, I'll don my contacts and find a storeroom to change into my supersuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy