Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Fun Article: Dolly Parton Confirms Her 1978 Playboy Outfit Has A Surprising Connection To Keanu Reeves

As a huge Dolly Parton fan, it's always fun to find out things connected with Dolly, and this article surprised me!

Dolly Parton Confirms Her 1978 Playboy Outfit Has A Surprising Connection To Keanu Reeves

Parton’s unexpected link to the "Matrix" actor goes all the way back to his childhood. 

 Curtis M. Wong, Huffington Post, Nov 29, 2023, 04:29 PM EST 

Dolly Parton made waves when she became the first female country artist to appear on the cover of Playboy in 1978. Turns out, the outfit she wore for the magazine’s photo shoot has a surprising connection to another A-list star.

Appearing on “The Drew Barrymore Show” Monday, Parton confirmed that her black bustier, bow tie and bunny ears were the handiwork of costume designer Patricia Taylor, who is the mother of actor Keanu Reeves.

The Grammy winner recalled meeting Reeves as a child, when he would accompany his mom on assignments.

“She did a lot of sewing for me. She did a lot of my clothes,” Parton said. “I remember Keanu when he was just little, and she would bring him over to my house when we were fitting or when I would go to the shop where she worked.”

Parton said that years later, Reeves came backstage to say hello after one of her concerts. By then, the actor had risen to fame thanks to performances in films like “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” and “Point Break.”

Image:   Dolly Parton as she appeared on the cover of Playboy in 1978. HARRY LANGDON VIA GETTY IMAGES

“He said, ’Do you remember me? I’m the little boy that used to sit at your feet when my mom was [working],’” she recalled. “Of course I knew he had become a star. But it didn’t connect to me that that was who that was.”

Reeves discussed his mother’s longtime working relationship with Parton in an appearance on “Red Table Talk” in 2021. Though he didn’t specify the year, he said he ended up wearing Parton’s Playboy outfit as a Halloween costume.

“I put on the ears and the bustier,” he said. “I wore sneakers with fishnet stockings and the bowtie. I had some pretty long hair, and I was Dolly Parton as a Playboy Bunny.”

When Barrymore mentioned Reeves’ Halloween claim, Parton appeared flattered.

“Aw, that’s sweet,” she said. “He’s great. He’s the sweetest guy.”

Though Parton didn’t appear nude in Playboy, her appearance on the magazine’s cover 45 years ago was still seen as a risky move for a mainstream star. She went on to recreate the now-iconic look in 2021 as a birthday surprise for her husband, Carl Thomas Dean.

“He still thinks I’m a hot chick after 57 years,” she quipped on Instagram at the time, “and I’m not going to try and talk him out of that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy