Friday, December 8, 2023

A Book I Couldn't Get Through: Political Mystery: Stranglehold

I love mysteries, and recently I read a mystery and a western by the late, prolific writer Ed Gorman. So, I ordered a copy of his "Stranglehold" political mystery that came out in 2010. Despite loving his other books, I couldn't even force myself to finish this one. 

HERE'S WHY I GAVE UP ON IT - I couldn't identify with or care about any of the characters. It's about a Congresswoman who is running for another term in office, and her (male) campaign manager follows her to a motel, where she gets startled and leaves abruptly. The campaign manager finds blood in the empty motel room. Then there's an overbearing, controlling stepmother to the Congresswoman. There are 2 more characters who are a young couple with abuse issues, and childbirth issues. After 64 pages into this 207-page book, I couldn't figure out who or what I should be caring about, so I gave up on it. I've only given up on about 10 books, and sadly, this was one of them.

I realize it's all a matter of personal taste, so you may stick with it longer and enjoy it. i just didn't care to find out the mystery with the Congresswoman. It didn't grab me.

ABOUT THE BOOK (From Goodreads) : Award-winning author Ed Gorman is back with political consultant and troubleshooter Dev Conrad, in this riveting sequel. When Dev Conrad agreed to work with Congresswoman Susan Cooper, member of a prominent political family, he didn't know that the worst threat her reelection campaign would face would come from Cooper herself. The congresswoman has a secret she's not willing to share with Dev, forcing him to follow her the way a detective would. But the campaign is burdened with other problems as well, starting with the murder of scandal-plagued political consultant Monica Davies. Rumor has it she had some information that would destroy Susan Cooper's campaign. In the wake of another murder, another blackmailer, and two or three suspicious relationships, Dev must figure out who is trying to sabotage the campaign. A rip-roaring ride, " Stranglehold" will win your vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy