Wednesday, May 27, 2020

My Worst Computer Laptop Experience, EVER - Last Week

Do NOT buy an HP Spectre x360 2 in 1 Laptop- WON'T connect to Internet
I do a LOT of work on computers. My career job is entirely on computers. At home, I write 2 blogs
(one personal, and one for my books/paranormal stuff), and I have written 7 books (and many more in the queue) and do a LOT of video/on camera interviews from home. SO, I need a good computer. I bought the WORST computer I could have and it arrived on May 23. By May 26, I shipped it back. Here's what happened.

USING PCS - I love PCs and have always used them. I think Macs are NOT intuitive and are wonky to use. I've tried several times over decades. So, since for the last 5 years, I have had an HP Envy 6 notebook and really like it (except that the sound has continual problems and I fix it weekly), I decided to go for an upgraded HP Laptop.

DON'T BUY THIS- I decided I needed a LOT of Memory, a better camera, quicker processing time, and something with Microsoft office. 
   After going through several laptops on the HP site, I settled on one you should NEVER BUY:

HP Spectre x360 2in1 Gem Cut Laptop, 13.3" FHD (1920x1080) IPS BrightView WLED Multi Touch Screen, Intel Core 8th Gen i7-8565U (up to 4 GHz), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, FHD IR Webcam, HP Pen, Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, this is what I looked like trying for 12 hours to make it work

HERE'S WHY - This laptop has SEVERE connectivity issues. I don't know why I couldn't find these testimonials when I was looking, but there are apparently THOUSANDS of angry former buyers who complain that this laptop connects to the internet for 60 seconds and drops it. That happened to me AFTER I spent 8 hours uploading and downloading files and programs  from my old laptop to the new one. The Internet kept cutting out after 60 seconds (AND it doesn't have a port to connect a cable input, so you "MUST" use wireless.)
   Meanwhile my old laptop had no issues with reading the wireless, neither did Tom's or the 2 TVs. So, we knew it was the computer. 

HELP FROM TOM-  By the 3rd day of spending between 2 and 4 HOURS daily (I took afternoons off that week) Tom heard me shouting from upstairs. He came upstairs and found 8 different "Repair connectivity" You Tube tutorials. We tried them ALL. Zero. Nothing. Then he went on-line and searched for connectivity with an "HP Spectre" and found thousands of complaints (and returns). 

2 OTHER MADDENING THINGS- it does NOT come with Microsoft Office. You get a "you have 1 week before Word, Powerpoint and Excel stop working unless you BUY microsoft office"  AND, the camera isn't any better than the one on my 5 year old laptop. 

SHIPPED IT BACK-  I lost a good 10-12 hours of my time on this laptop, and it is just made defective from the get-go. Needless to say I was really, really, really pissed off.  I restored the factory settings and wiped out everything I uploaded on it, then packed it up and shipped it back.  
  Totally infuriating. 

My brother said I need to get a Mac. What do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy