Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Classic Book that Ignited my interest in Dinosaurs in 1972

In the 1970s, there was a large series of thin paperback books called the How and Why
Wonder Books. They covered a wide range of topics and were all educational. They were 8x11" in size and usually as long as 50 pages with a lot of illustrations or photos. My favorite was the book called "Dinosaurs." It inspired me to do many, many reports on dinosaurs in school, and read a lot more books about them.
  Today, the book, printed in 1972, is out of print, but I still have my copy from when I was 11 years old! In fact, I was going through my bookshelf, and just re-read it.
   The illustrations are beautiful, and the book was really well-done and informative. Of course, since 1972, we've learned encyclopedias more about dinosaurs, and many of the facts and illustrations in this book have been improved upon, but it's a great inspiration.
   When I was a kid, I accumulated a LOT of plastic play dinosaurs, too.
   Since re-reading it, I've been inspired to look for a current book on dinosaurs!
It's cool how something from your childhood can re-awaken an interest in you decades later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy