Thursday, June 14, 2018

My Experience Promoting My Self-Published Books

Rob Gutro's Paranormal Books
 In today's blog I wanted to share the challenges of how much work it is to be a self-published author. People have the misconception that publishers do all the marketing, set up interviews, pay for travel, set up speaking events and book signings, etc.  Truth is- When self-published, YOU DO IT ALL.    I've written 5 books about the paranormal, and writing the book is often the easiest part (believe it or not).  Making people aware of  your book and getting them to buy it is the biggest challenge.   Case in point from THIS WEEK>>>. My latest book is called "Ghosts of England on a Medium's Vacation." 
   I published it in March. I spend HOURS and DAYS doing promotions, sometimes for little pay off - which is what happened to me last Friday.  On June 1, I gave a Talk about the New Book. To Prepare, I spent 5 HOURS putting together my talk on Powerpoint on a Saturday, then Sunday, I spent another 5 hours posting it to local event calendars all over Baltimore. Friday I gave the 2 hour talk (that's 12 HOURS total), and despite all of the ads, promotions, etc. Just 9 people showed up.  It was devastating. But, all we can do is try.
   So, every night I'm on the computer making Facebook or other calendar event notices, writing blogs, or doing something to promote the 5 books I've written. Bottom Line: NO ONE is going to help you. You are a one-person writer and marketer (but if you DO need help, ask me).   

Our friend's mystery book:Extrasensory Deception!
   Here are a couple of points to help you understand the process.   
#1 - When you're self published you use a publisher that takes YOUR text and has on-line software that loads it, and helps YOU create a cover. They don't edit. Period.
#2 - YOU have to play with the formatting of pictures and captions in your book to make them line up - because although they may line up in a word document, they likely won't once it's uploaded. I took me a week to get it right and hours every night.
#3- YOU have to put together your own marketing package: headshot of you, press release about the book, including links, image of book cover. Summary of the book, short biography, website/social media links
#4 - YOU have to look for internet radio stations to contact for interviews and email them with your marketing package and ASK them to interview you. YOU have to contact TV, newspaper, etc.
#5 -YOU have to ensure you have a working website (and Facebook and Twitter, and Google Plus page) with info about you, your book or books, how people can contact you, where you book is sold, etc.
#6 - YOU have to find people or places that will HOST you to give a talk. I contact Paranormal conventions (and pay to get a table); I've given talks at Veterinarian's offices (about pets and the afterlife, historic mansions, Talks for fundraisers for animal rescue, etc. I've paid to go to Book fairs and other events. It's a LOT  of TIME, and your money.Often for little pay off, other than exposure.
#7 - YOU need to populate LOCAL On-line event calendars 
#8- YOU Need to distribute your press release through an On-Line Press release distribution service (AND PAY FOR IT- don't use the Free distribution- it does nothing)
#9- YOU Need to MAKE and print Promotional post cards (use Vistaprint) or Banners (Halfpricebanners.com)  for your appearances.

So, as you can see, it's a LOT of work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy