Monday, October 10, 2022

Rob's Cleveland Trip #1: Renaissance Hotel and its Resident Ghost(s)

In September, I decided to use my excess vacation to explore my appreciation for Superman and my passion for comic book collecting, coupled with visiting a friend in Cleveland, Ohio. You'll explore those with me later. (Tom stayed home with the dogs). In this first of many blogs, you'll learn about the Renaissance Hotel and the ONLY ghost I encountered (face-to-face) on the entire trip. Others had their own experiences which are also included here. 

(Photo: Rob at the Cleveland sign at the airport.)

AIRPORT MURAL - Before I get to the hotel, in the airport, there was a mural of famous Rock and Roll musicians, promoting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which is also in the city. We'll get to that, too! 

ABOUT THE RENAISSANCE HOTEL - Located in Tower City Center, the hotel is located at 24 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44113. It has a large and beautiful lobby with an ornate lobby fountain. The rooms feature Wi-Fi, TVs and coffeemakers. Suites add separate living areas; some have dining or conference areas. There are a lot fo conference rooms, and there's also a gym there. - But I didn't stay there. It opened in 1918 as the Hotel Cleveland and was later renamed.

(Photo: This is the landing where I saw the male ghost cleaning the steps. Credit: RG) 

MY GHOSTLY ENCOUNTER - walked in the ffront door of the Renaissance Hotel. I immediately sensed that there was a ghost in the lobby area, but he didn't show himself until after I ascended the grand staircase to the mezzanine level where the lobby was located. From the top of the stairs, I turned and looked back to the stair landing. There was a ghost of an older man, a former employee, still taking pride in cleaning the lobby. He was about 5'9", balding and had a pencil thin mustache. He was from the 1930s. He didn't want to cross over because he was proud of his job, even in the afterlife.

HAUNTED 4th FLOOR- According to the website, Ohio Haunted Houses, "This hotel has seen most of its haunting on the fourth floor, where lights reportedly turn on and off on their own and faucets switch on and off by themselves."

EXPERIENCES OF OTHERS - Several guests have had weird experiences at the hotel, so I thought I would share 2 that appear on the Ohio Haunted Houses website:
1) I'm totally skeptical. But when I stayed at the Renaissance in March of 2019 for an event we threw there, I am absolutely positive that I heard a voice talking to me and yelling through my door. It was so loud that my husband could hear it and so could a friend. It was very gruff and just kept telling me it was trying to sleep. Finally, after about an hour of this, I went outside to knock on the door and apologize (the male voice had just yelled at me again) when I realized it was a totally empty vending machine room."

2) The 11th floor. Room 1110: "While we did not see actual ghosts, my husband and both had terrible dreams. My dreams all included dreams about hotels room. The worst one was in my actual room. When I woke up I thought it had actually happened. I sat up in bed, there were what seemed like 100s of tiny orbs floating around the room. There was a dark shape that never quite took a true form by the window. I did not feel threatened at all." 

NEXT: Terminal Tower and "A Christmas Story" Department Store





No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy