Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Hero of the Month: Aaron Jackson

This man is AMAZING .Aaron Jackson, founder of Planting Peace - the (straight) man who took on the Westboro Baptist Church just gave transgender teen and activist Gavin Grimm a college scholarship.

LOOK AT WHAT ELSE HE'S DONE! 
Aaron Jackson’s first foray into LGBTQ activism was a bold one: In 2013, he purchased a house across the street from the notoriously anti-queer Westboro Baptist Church, painted it the colors of the gay pride flag and aptly named the new symbol of love situated directly in the face of hate the Equality House. Jackson, who identifies as an ally of the LGBTQ community, has also sent a pride flag into outer space and planted another pride flag in Antarctica after the Pulse nightclub massacre in 2016, Jackson gave a college scholarship to a young woman who was a victim of the horrific mass shooting.


Why, as a straight man, have you devoted so much of your life to queer rights?
When I started to learn that LGBT kids kill themselves due to this narrative that they are somehow less than, it really became important to me to use my platform to try to simply do my part in helping the LGBT community not only come into full rights but to help change the hearts and minds of people. Becoming an LGBT activist is one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

What compels you to do charity work? How do you pick your causes? 
Since I started Planting Peace 15 years ago, I get asked why I do so much for charity. And truth be told, I didn’t have an answer then and don’t have an answer now. It’s just my passion. I keep busy.
How has advocacy affected or changed your life?
I love meeting people. My work has led me to meet the poorest people on earth to some of the most powerful people. It’s opened a lot of doors and incredible experiences that have made me a better person. It’s truly a blessing.  


 Story: 
 https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trans-activist-college-scholarship_n_5d0a2a1fe4b0f7b7442a049a?tw&ncid=newsltushpmgnews_TheMorningEmail062119_

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy