Monday, September 14, 2015

One of the Best Pet Mysteries I've Read: Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund by Blaize Clement

I just read one of the best pet mysteries I've ever read: Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund by Blaize Clement

    This was my first read of the Dixie Hemingway mystery series and I loved it. Truly one of the better pet-mystery-type stories I've read (and I've read many). Dixie is a 32 year old former Sheriff's deputy, widower and now pet sitter with a vivid personality. The supporting characters of her gay brother and partner as a fireman and undercover cop really added to the story and you could picture Dixie talking with them and dining with them. There were funny parts, serious parts, intrigue, mystery, murders, and of course dogs. 
   The author paints a true picture of how different people care for their animals - some very well, others not well - but the character's passion for animals is clear. As a dog rescuer, I thoroughly enjoyed the way the animals were portrayed (in both situations).
  The plot was really well-thought out- and kept you guessing. If anyone thinks the murders were too dark, they need to turn on their television in the U.S. - they weren't, but the way the victim(s) was murdered was interesting, and made you guess.
   You'll enjoy the supporting characters, too- and get inside Dixie's head about men she deals with and struggles to deal with. At one point when she was with an elderly friend I actually laughed out loud reading what the elder character said.
    So, if you want a great mystery, solid, developed characters, dogs, something to make you laugh, cry, thrilled and wonder who is behind it all- I highly recommend this book. I look forward to reading Blaize Clement's other novels! - Rob 


*******************************************
NOTE: I found out that the author passed away in 2011, but her son John has continued with the series and there are 10 books now. 
*******************************************

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy