|The monument to President Kennedy at JFK Park, Galway|
|The corner where the Gallows stood|
HISTORY OF THE SQUARE - The origin of the square comes from medieval open space in front of town gate, known as The Green. Markets mostly took place in the northern part of the space. The square was in existence in 1631 and on one corner of the square stood the town GALLOWS. Keep that in mind, because on that same corner is a building haunted by the next ghost we'll introduce you to.
JAMES JOYCE HAUNT - There's a building, an apartment (now) at the corner of JFK square, where the gallows used to stand. This is the site of a haunt connected (loosely) to author James Joyce.
James Joyce's wife had a teenage lover. The boy was 17 years old and lived in that row house. Brian told us that the boy died of consumption in that very building. The boy is seen haunting that building in one of the top windows.
OTHER GHOSTS IN THE AREA - Since the gallows are right there in the square, there are stories of ghosts. Brian explained that when the square was being updated and streets were being renovated, they had to be excavated. During the excavation workers found headless bodies buried there. There are stories of people seeing ghosts of headless people walking the streets in that area around where the gallows once stood.
NEXT: ST. NICHOLAS CHURCH, LYNCH'S CASTLE AND ORIGIN OF "LYNCING"