Monday, December 16, 2013

My 1975 Comic Book to be Displayed at Sherlock Holmes Museum, U.K.!

The comic to be displayed in London!
While I (Rob) was going through my extensive comic book collection (I've been collecting since the mid-1970s) I came across DC Comics' Sherlock Holmes #1 from 1975. Instead of selling it, I decided to try and make more of a mark with it, because we were so impressed by London's Sherlock Holmes Museum. 
  So, I wrote to the curator, explained about the comic, and offered to send it there for display. After all, it is 38 (almost 39) years old. It was graciously accepted and will be put on display there!  We are so excited!

 Here's my email and the response. 
   Dear Ms. van Ehernstein - As a U.S. fan of Sherlock Holmes, I had the good fortune to visit the museum during my first visit to the U.K. in 2012, and really enjoyed it!   I am writing because I wanted to offer the museum a collectable Sherlock Holmes #1 DC Comics comic book that I've had in my collection since 1975! It's over 38 years old, and I thought the museum would appreciate the copy to possibly display (pictured below).
   I've been collecting comics since I was a child in the 1960s, and this is one of the oldest Sherlock Holmes series that I recall, and it's from the U.S., which makes it more unique. (I know that a lot more have cropped up since this came out).
  If the museum would like it, I would be happy to send it your way (free of charge of course). I would rather it go to the museum, than sell it as I really loved my visit.

   Here is the response! 
Thanks Rob for your kind offer. We really would like to display this in the museum as it should draw a lot of interest. If you would like us to put a credit with your name, such as "Rob Gutro/Tom Williams, Bowie, Maryland USA" please let me know.  Could you send the copy to our office address. We're excited about displaying it for the benefit of our visitors.

If I can assist further please let me know.

Yours sincerely

Andrea von Ehrenstein, Curator
The Sherlock Holmes Museum, 221b Baker Street, London NW1 6XE
Tel: 0207-224-3688 www.Sherlock-Holmes.co.uk

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy