Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Operation Update on "Murray" the Foster Dachshund


I spoke to the Animal Hospital where our Foster /Rescue wirehaired Dachshund, currently named "Murray," is getting oral surgery. Here's the scoop:
1) He tested negative for Heartworm (whew!)
2) His Liver and Kidneys are fine
3) He has a heart murmur
4) He tested positive for Lyme disease, so he's going to have to be on 14-28 days of antibiotics.
5) He was getting his dental extractions this afternoon. The doctor said she's wondering what may lie in the back of his mouth because they've been unable to look (because he's so sensitive). I discussed with the doctor the time they should keep Murray under watch after the operation. We decided that because we don't know what's in the back of his mouth, and the actual extent of the infections; and possibility of bleeding, not eating, etc. that Murray should be watched for a couple of days. So, I'm planning to pick him up Thursday.
This way, I can be sure that there will be no bleeding from his mouth, post-op, and that he's actually able to eat. (because if he can't eat, they need to keep him on IV). The doctor was really wonderful in helping me make the best decision for the little guy. I told the doctor that I have no problem letting him stay in their care as long as it takes to ensure he's good enough to come home. Anyway, it's all about what's best for "Murray."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy