Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happy 61st Birthday Dolly Parton! SHE CHANGED MY LIFE


Dolly Parton's 61st birthday was this weekend, Saturday, January 19th!
Not only is she my favorite singer, but she changed my life - and helped set the direction for my attitude back in 1978 when I first heard her.
(credit: http://www.opry.com/)

I saw Dolly in the movie 9 to 5, which recently celebrated 25 years (it came out in 1979). Her love of life, people, family, friends and God were inspirational to me at 17 years old. Before I saw her and watched and learned basically about how to enjoy life - I was quiet, withdrawn and had no friends other than my family. She taught me to be courageous, outgoing, positive, and more than anything optimistic and to appreciate all small blessings. I've tried to live that way since then. If you listen to her in interviews, read her autobiography called "Dolly, My Life and Other Unfinished Business" you'll see what I mean. She pokes fun at herself, loves everyone and laughs alot. That's what I call living. You can see her website at: http://www.dollyon-line.com/news/index.shtml

BACKGROUND ON DOLLY:
Dolly Parton has written over 3,000 songs, sold more than 100 million albums and created a business empire worth more than two hundred million dollars. She's had over 24 Number One hit singles, won 7 Grammys and 8 country music awards. Born in 1948 in the Smokey Mountains near Locust Ridge in Tennessee, Dolly was the fourth child born to tobacco sharecroppers Robert Lee and Avie. Dolly was one of 12 kids.

MY FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: Dollywood in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee! See it: http://www.dollywood.com/

HER UPCOMING CD:
"Backwoods Barbie" Release Date Set as fo 1/19/08:
It has just been confirmed that Backwoods Barbie is officailly set to hit stores on February 26th, only three weeks later than the initial release date. It has a GREAT new song on it called "Better Get to Livin'." Go get it!!

Happy Birthday, Dolly - You changed my life and made me an optimistic and happy person even through all the hard times. In fact, one of our dogs (a weimaraner) is named Dolly! She also epitomizes unconditional love -something you taught me was the greatest gift in life to share with all.
- Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy