Saturday, October 5, 2024

Hero of the Week: Janet Sailor Tobin's Dog Rescue: Fletcher's Tough Story

I've volunteered in dog rescue for over 15 years, and continue to support rescues by giving fundraising lectures. I met Janet Tobin through my rescue efforts and she manages a dachshund rescue in northern Maryland. She's taken in some really difficult cases, and in July, one in particular really affected me, and I saved the photos of a special dog named Fletcher. In fact, On July 8, 2024 when I saw him, I told Tom we should adopt him. I felt a connection.  
  Fletcher was 12, a senior dog, and obviously never, ever physically cared for. He was in poor health. His heartless owners (they weren't parents) dumped the failing dog in a kill shelter. Here's his story and how Janet's rescue gave him 3 days of love he obviously never before received in his entire life.














FIRST STEP - Removing a dog from a kill shelter and placing them in a foster home with a rescue.

On July 8, 2024, Fletcher was rescued from a kill shelter by Janet's rescue

 Janet posted on facebook: "Freedom for Fletcher thanks to Shari Lynn Susan Moon! This very sweet gent had a bath and finally a real sleep after leaving a shelter made to hold 40 dogs, which actually has over 110. Fletcher is about 10 pounds, at least 12 years. His skin/coat need a lot of help. He's intact and, of course, has dental disease. Let's hope for a negative HW test. Welcome to rescue, special boy♡"

SECOND STEP - Making a vet appointment to get the dog back to health.

July 11- Janet had a vet assess Fletcher and learned of many alarming issues. Fletcher had to go to the ER, so the rescue needed donations. 

Janet posted: "Our Fletcher on his way to ER with Susan Moon. Please say a prayer for this precious boy and donate for his care if you possible can. Every $ helps us help them♡" www.longdogsrescue.org/donate

STEP THREE- RECOVERY OR NOT- Sadly, this poor dog, apparently mistreated over his entire life, didn't have the strength to recover to enjoy senior years.

Janet Posted: "Folks, my heart hurts as I tell you Fletcher has crossed the Bridge. Susan and I so hoped we could turn him around and give him some happy, pain-free life for some time. He did respond well to Susan's touch, her kindness, felt her love. And he ate well, enjoyed a few short walks in the yard. But more was not to be. 

(Right: Fletcher's diagnosis before he went into heart failure. Credit: JST)

A photo of Tuesday's vet diagnoses is posted. Today he went into heart failure, and could not be saved. Thank you all for caring. Fletcher sure deserved more in his little life. I asked my mom to welcome him home at the end of that Rainbow. Run free, precious little man♡"

MY THOUGHTS - My thanks to Janet, Susan and all the people who do rescue. We can't save them all, but we can give them a little precious love they all deserve for the time they have left here. I really took his passing hard, and I only knew of him for 3 days. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy