Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Good Collection: Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Volume 3 (Graphic Novel)

If you're a fan of the DC Comics character Swamp Thing, then you'll likely want to read the Bronze Age volume 3 collection published in 2021. I'm glad I read it, but you'll see why I thought it wasn't as much of a classic as volumes 1 and 2 (which contained the originlal series). STORY>>



Swamp Thing TPB The Bronze Age Volume 3  (Graphic Novel) contains the first 19 issues of the "Saga of the Swamp Thing" series (volume 2) from the 1980s. It contains one very long storyline that introduces a number of characters and two other shorter storylines. 

My Take: As a long-time reader of comics, I will admit that carrying the one storyline over 14 plus issues was a little tedious to read. I just wanted to see the story wrap up, but it seemed to go on and then go into different directions. It was good, but it was long. 

The second (not as long by any means) storyline includes the mysterious DC Comics character known as the Phantom Stranger, which made the storyline more interesting. The third storyline brought back an old Swamp Thing villain and continued to use the characters from the first long storyline, so it was consistent. 

The graphic novel is rounded out with a bonus issue included is a Swamp Thing annual from 1982 that is a novelization of the first Swamp Thing film from that year.

Bottom Line for me: I'm glad I read this volume of the second series of Swamp Thing comics, but it wasn't as good as the first series (in Bronze Age Vols. 1 and 2). I do plan to keep and re-read Vols. 1 and 2, but this volume isn't a keeper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy