Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Part 2: Ryan and Kenny's Wedding

 On Sunday, May 30, we were excited to attend the wedding of my nephew Kenny to his husband Ryan at Gramercy mansion near Baltimore.  Today's blog is Part 2 of several with wedding pictures.

(Photo: L to R: Kenny, Ryan, Tom, Rob) 

For me, it was a big family reunion. I got to see Kenny's sister, my niece Kelli, her husband Derek and son Carter who drove in from the western U.S.  Kelli was the maid of honor.  Seeing them all brought tears to my eyes (I'm sentimental like that).

Kenny's brother, my nephew Matt also arrived from the western U.S. and was the best man. I remember when Matt was born and I told Ken and Jill (his parents) that Matt was the best birthday present that year. 

MY FUN  MEMORIES - Seeing Kenny, Matt and Kelli together brought back all the memories of birthday parties when they were all little, and so many other memories. My favorite memory with all three of them was when I would take them out for ice cream or something and we would all sing country songs by Dolly Parton, Alan Jackson and others. 

SPEECHES - Kenny's brother Matt noted how Kenny was responsible for forming the first gay alliance group on high school and bringing in the PFLAG (Parents and friends of lesbian and gay students). Kenny paved the way for acceptance of other LGBT kids - I'm very proud of him for that. Kenny's sister Kelli told some really funny stories (one about playing "Mermaid") and noted that it was a good thing the wedding was delayed a year due to COVID, because it gave Kenny enough time to get ready (Apparently he's usually late). 

Jill and Ken, Kenny's parents- told about Kenny's life growing up, his coming out, their immediate support, finding churches that were LGBT friendly, marching in Pride Parades, being interviewed on Inside Edition as the parents of 2 gay sons. 

I can't tell you how proud I am of Ken and Jill. They've made a world of difference for other LGBT youth everywhere.  

Ryan's mom gave a heartwarming note of love and support and Ryan's dad wished them the best of everything (he was a man of few words!). Ryan's brother and sister had some funny words, especially his sister- the love and support really showed.

We sat at the family table with Ken and Jill, Kelli and Derek, Matt, and our friends Sterling and Sean (they're also like uncles to the kids).   What an amazing wedding. 

We wish Kenny and Ryan a wonderful life together, and will be here for them as they go on their journey! As Tom and I say to each other- it's a learning experience!  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy