Saturday, June 19, 2021

Hero of the Week: Texas High School Valedictorian Calls Out Ridiculous Abortion Law

 Bravo to the high school Valedictorian who called out Texas Republican legislators on their ridiculous Abortion Law, which PREVENTS Rape and Incest victims from getting an abortion.  

   WHY do old, white, conservative men, who can't even procreate get to make laws about a Woman's health?  Why can't Republican women even see that's ridiculous??? Men can't get pregnant, and if they could and they were raped, it would be a different story. 

Here's the article about this week's hero.

(Image: Paxton Smith, Lake Highlands High School valedictorian, poses for a photo, Wednesday, June 2, 2021, in Dallas   CREDIT: JUAN FIGUEROA/THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS VIA AP ) 

Texas High School Valedictorian Changes Planned Graduation Speech to Condemn Strict Abortion Law 

"I cannot give up this platform to promote complacency and peace when there is a war on my body and a war on my rights," 18-year-old Paxton Smith said during her surprise speech 

 By Eric TodiscoJune 03, 2021 10:27 AM People.com  

 An 18-year-old high school senior from Dallas, Texas, went off-script during her valedictorian graduation speech over the weekend to take a stand against the state's new restrictive abortion ban.

According to Today, Paxton Smith was expected to speak at Lake Highlands High School's graduation on Sunday about media and entertainment as class valedictorian. But Smith instead scrapped the pre-approved script for 3 minutes of condemnation for the controversial legislation known as the "heartbeat ban," which was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott last month and prohibits women from getting an abortion after six weeks of pregnancy.

"In light of recent events, it feels wrong to talk about anything but what is currently affecting me and millions of other women in this state," Smith said in her passionate speech, as seen in video obtained by Today.

The bill goes into effect Sept. 1, and does not allow exceptions for women who are impregnated as a result of rape or incest. There are considerations "if a physician believes a medical emergency exists." Also under the bill, private citizens can also sue doctors or abortion clinic workers who perform or help to set up the procedure.

"I have dreams and hopes and ambitions," Smith added in her speech. "Every girl graduating today does. And we have spent our entire lives working towards our future. And without our input and without our consent, our control over that future has been stripped away from us. I am terrified that if my contraceptives fail, I am terrified that if I am raped, then my hopes and aspirations and dreams and efforts for my future will no longer matter."

"I hope that you can feel how gut-wrenching that is, I hope you can feel how dehumanizing it is," she added, "to have the autonomy over your own body taken away from you. I cannot give up this platform to promote complacency and peace when there is a war on my body and a war on my rights. A war on the rights of your mothers. A war on the rights of your sisters. A war on the rights of your daughters."

"We cannot stay silent," she said to conclude her speech.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy