Thursday, September 11, 2014

Baltimore Comic-Con Part 1: Meeting Artists!

Stacey and Rob 
On Sunday, September 7, I (Rob) went to the Baltimore Comic-con with our friends Stacey and Tom R. My Tom stayed home with the dogs and did work out in the garden.
  Once again, I went to the comic-con as the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan). This was Stacey's first ever comic-con and she was really excited to join me. We met Tom R. at the comic-con (he's a big comic book fan like me and he and I have been going to this for years together).
  Meeting some of the writers and artists is something a comics fan appreciates.
Dan Parent and Rob
Two of them were favorites of mine and I was excited to meet both of them.
One was Dan Parent.
 Dan Parent is an American comic book artist and writer best known for his work for Archie Comics. WHY I RESPECT HIM: In 2012 Parent introduced the first openly gay character in Archie Comics when he created Kevin Keller
in Veronica #202, which he wrote and drew. In May 2013 Parent was presented with the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comic Book in San Francisco. Parent was nominated for a 2013 Harvey Award for Special Award for Humor in Comics.

Kevin Keller- a gay teen in Archie comics
  A graduate of The Kubert School, Parent began working for Archie immediately after graduation. His writing of the Love Showdown series from 1994 received widespread attention. Parent has also illustrated Felix the CatBarbieDisney Adventures, and a wide variety of other titles.
Andy Smith and Rob
   ANDY SMITH- I "met" Andy for the first time via facebook- and through a connection with our mutual friend John Sazaklis. After that, I got to meet him in person at the Baltimore comic-con! I've been a fan of his artwork for a long time!
  In fact, he's pencilled my favorite heroes (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman) in the Justice League comics. 
  Andy Smith has been working as a professional artist since 1991. Mostly working in the field of comic books for major publishers such as Marvel, DC, Image, Acclaim and Cross Gen Ent. Not content with just comic book projects Andy has also done a variety of commercial jobs for clients such as Bally’s Total Fitness, Real Song Records, The Idaho Potato Commission and Fidelity Investments to name a few. Andy is also the best selling author of “Drawing Dynamic Comics” published by Watson-Guptill in 2000. The book is currently in it’s seventh printing. Andy’s second book “Drawing American Manga Super-heroes” was published by Watson-Gutptill in 2007.  WEBSITE: http://www.andysmithart.com/

NEXT: COOL COSTUMES AT THE COMIC-CON

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy