Saturday, November 15, 2008

Aging and Difficulties- Part 2

It's Saturday, two days after I took my 86-year old friend Beverlee home from the ICU at a Baltimore hospital (she's on oxygen and in failing health). I called to check on her, and she's not well. She's totally disoriented in her studio apartment, and panicking. She hasn't been able to eat, and doesn't want to call the folks in her complex to assist her -
Fortunately, Beverlee was able to give me the phone number of her neice in PA, and I called her. She and her husband are coming down immediately to get Bev and bring her back home with them. At least Bev will be safe and watched.
Since I picked her up from the hospital on Thursday night, Bev has been going back and forth with her timelines in her conversation. She's not been totally coherent-which has me very concerned. Bev also mentioned what she wants for funeral arrangements, etc. which tells me she's preparing to "go home" to her husband that passed some 46 years ago. I stayed on the phone with her for quite awhile today, helping keep her company until her neice arrives.
The tough thing is that I have no power of attorney to assist her in the ways she needs it- that's where family is so important. As we grow old, we really need to make sure we have someone to look after us. - I'll update this over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy