Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Why I Revised How I "Book Readings" for my side business

For over 10 years, I provided Free medium readings for people who lost pets. A couple of years ago, after Unsolved Mysteries aired a podcast about me, the demand exploded, and I had to start charging a little something for my time because each reading takes 30-45 minutes. Now, I realize that my first business model for booking appointments has a number of flaws. Today's blog explains that and may serve as a guideline for your new side business.

HOW I BOOKED APPTS BEFORE: For the last 2 years, I asked people to send a small fee through Paypal, and I would use that to secure their appointment. I would KEEP the money in Paypal and withdraw it after I did their readings. 

THE PROBLEM WITH THAT: I've been scheduling readings now almost 1 YEAR after setting the appointment. If people provide an OLD email via paypal, or can't be contacted through paypal I spend hours trying to contact them. If I can't, I would obviously want to REFUND THEM. BUT, Paypal won't refund anyone at zero cost after 60 days. Further, If the customer's email is Invalid, I can't refund them ( you would be surprised at the number of people who don't enter an email or have an outdated on their paypal account). If their email is valid and I do refund them, Paypal charges me about $1.00 apiece, giving me a Net Loss because people didn't provide updated info. 

MY FIX: From now on, I'm asking people to email me and I will schedule them. Then it's up to ME, 2 weeks before their reading to remind them to pay via paypal (and I just added VENMO).   - It's more work for me up front, but it ensures I have their VALID EMAIL and don't have to worry about incurring costs when they give me wrong info up front. 

LESSON LEARNED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy