We had the good fortune of connecting with Dawn Shonkwiler and we’ve shared our conversation below.

Hi Dawn, how does your business help the community?
I run a dog rescue – dachshunds specifically though I have been known to rescue a Shiba Inu, a lab/basset mix, and most recently a matted little fluffy pooch! I don’t think what I do really helps the world but I think it is important for our community. I take in the dogs that no one else wants – the ones that have been turned into the shelter because they are sick or old – and I do my best to give them a second chance. If I can’t find them a home, they have a forever home with me. I’m not a typical rescue – I don’t charge an adoption fee but if the adopter wants to make a donation, that is always welcome. I also don’t not adopt to people because they don’t have a fenced yard or because they are older. So many rescues make it next to impossible for people to adopt a pet. While I don’t give a dog to just anyone, I try to match the dog with the right owner. I stay in touch with all my adopters as well as those owners who have had to surrender their dogs due to personal circumstances. I send them pictures and “pupdates” – I want them to know they made the right decision for their pets and that they are safe and loved. There is no shame in having to rehome your dog if you can’t provide for their needs. I do pretty much everything for the rescue – I handle the vet appointments, process the adoption applications, feed the dogs (my house is the rescue!), clean up the poop, do the laundry, take them to training if needed, all the nonprofit paperwork, the fundraising, the fostering, etc. I also work full time. At one point I had 26 dogs in the house.
I don’t have much of a social life but it’s okay. I do this because I love dachshunds.

I started rescuing senior dachshunds for a friend’s rescue a few years ago and I finally got up the nerve to start my own rescue. While I love the young dogs, the seniors have my heart. I try to keep a balance of old and young dogs in the house. The oldies get a second wind having the youngsters around and the youngsters learn discipline from their “elders”! A few of my own dogs even participated in Animal Planet’s Dog Bowl a few years ago and one has also been featured in Modern Dog Magazine. I want people to know that shelter dogs can be amazing pets and superstars!

One positive that came from COVID is I’ve been able to work from home much of the last two years. It’s enabled me to rescue more dogs.

As someone once said, “saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.” And the world has changed for me too. When a rescue dog looks at you finally and you know they trust you, it’s just the best feeling ever. Sadly I have had to help quite a few dogs to the “rainbow bridge” – one seven year old I only had for a day. But in the end, as I held him, he knew he was loved. People ask me how I can do this again and again – I don’t focus on the time I won’t have with an older dog, but rather I make the time I do have with them, full of love. I want them to know that not all humans are horrible.

I rescued three senior females who were supposedly “found” in someone’s yard. I lost two rather quickly and it was so hard because they deserved better. I rescued a 17 year old who was caught on camera being dumped with another dog on a 95 degree day. Almost two years later, both dogs are older but they know love. The other dog was adopted and the 17 – now almost 19 year old, is one of my sanctuary dogs.

I am a crazy dachshund lady but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

  

Alright, so let’s move onto what keeps you busy professionally?
The one thing about rescue is it’s not something for which you can really train. There isn’t a college class that teaches you how to rescue. It comes from the heart and it’s a constant learning curve. Rescue isn’t easy – no matter how much money you raise, you still end up paying for things personally. There is no vacation from rescue and there is no paycheck. The payment you receive is knowing you saved a dog and pairing them with the right forever family. I guess I’m kind of a matchmaker! Even though it’s a 24/7 job, it’s so incredibly fulfilling. I am also very fortunate to serve on the board of our local animal shelter. I’d love to help change the image that a lot of rescues and shelters have. I often see people who have found a dog not want to take it to the shelter for fear of it being euthanized. But the shelter is the best place to take a lost pet. How else will you reunite a pet with the owner? Our shelter is amazing – it’s only a few years old and is just such a bright and positive place.

One thing I would like to tell people is if you aren’t in the market to adopt a dog, consider fostering or going to your local shelter and volunteering. Dog walkers are always needed. We can all make a difference in the lives of these animals.

  

The Shoutout series is all about recognizing that our success and where we are in life is at least somewhat thanks to the efforts, support, mentorship, love and encouragement of others. So is there someone that you want to dedicate your shoutout to?
I’d love to shoutout to all my followers, my adopters, my donors, my vet practices, my groomer, my family, my friends, my fellow rescuers, and of course my dogs.

Website: jomdr.org

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jomdoxierescue/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jomdachshundrescue

Nominate Someone: ShoutoutArizona is built on recommendations and shoutouts from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.