Friday, November 24, 2017

Good British Mystery: Murder on Monday by Ann Purser

As a fan of paperback mysteries, I tried out the first in a British mystery series  called "Murder on Monday, the first of "The Lois Meade Mystery series" by Ann Purser.

It was a good start to a series. The mystery was well-thought out, and the author was good at introducing the characters and allowing you to see the quirks in their personalities that all added up at the end. 

Lois Meade is a married mom of 3 kids and works as a house cleaner. She's employed by a number of families in a small village in England. Lois also has volunteered for some light police work, so when a woman is murdered, Lois develops a working relationship with a detective who wants to use her cleaning job to help her snoop. 

As an American, not knowing a lot of British sayings and slang, some of the words and phrases were lost on me, but that's to be expected. I was able to figure some out though. It did give me a good impression of English life, too. 

The book is slow in several parts, but by the end you get a satisfaction of how it gets resolved. I thought it was a good mystery, so I would give it 3 of 5 stars. Since there are quite a few more books in the series, I'm sure that the characters have developed more and I look forward to checking them out.  - Rob
     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy