Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mutts and Merlot with Whitney and Mike

Mike, Whitney, Chance and Schatzi
Sunday was a doggone great day, literally. Our friends Whitney and Mike (whom adopted our former foster dog, Chance the Weimaraner) asked us to meet them at the Hauser's Winery near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for a "Mutts and Merlot" dog event. So, we asked our friends and neighbors Will and Cristina to watch our senior dachshund Sprite (he couldn't handle walking around and the drive) and we drove to the event with Dolly, Franklin and Tyler.
Rob, Tom, Chance, Tyler- Franklin and Dolly (behind)
  There were many dog-related vendors there, and the thunderstorms held off during the day. We walked around, met lots of other dogs, including two women that were dachshund owners. One had 6 Dachshunds, the other had three. The woman with three dachshunds noticed that our little mini-dachshund "Tyler the Terror" was barking non-stop at all the other dogs, and she gave us a water bottle with a trigger to squirt at him whenever he mis-behaved. Over the course of an hour, it worked!!! Water training!!! What a really kind gesture to give us that squirt bottle and tell us about the training she uses.
Dolly and Franklin
Dachshund Crossing and Chance in the Middle!
  Chance looked incredible. It teared me (Rob) up to see how he's walking so well, and is so, so happy with his mom and dad and sister Schatzi (a mini-dachshund). Chance was the weimaraner that we rescued from a shelter and got him surgery to fix a dislocated back leg last summer.  All our kids got along well, and we enjoyed a BBQ lunch outside with a mountain view. A perfect afternoon.
Chance, Whitney, Schatzi, Tom, Tyler, Mike
  There were raffle tickets being sold to help the local county rescue, so I bought a bunch of them. I wound up winning about 13 dollars, so I bought 13 more tickets, only to win another $23.00- which I used to buy dog toys to benefit "blind dog rescue." I also had 3 tickets in for the "grand prize" of $100 but had to leave so I put my name and phone on them. They called me while we were enroute home and told me I won!  WOW.  So, I called Whitney and Mike and asked them to get it, and we split it to use on all of our canine kids. What a great day.



Chance, Whitney, Tom, Tyler, Mike




Chance and Schatzi


Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy