Sunday, June 3, 2012

LESSON LEARNED ABOUT PICTURES, CAMERAS AND COMPUTERS

LESSON LEARNED ABOUT PICTURES, CAMERAS AND COMPUTERS
What Rob wanted to do with the computer
    In the next couple of days I'll get back to the fun of our U.K. vacation. Right now, I'm waiting to see if our photography expert in the office can recover the rest of our trip pictures from my camera. I copied them over to my office Laptop computer, and bought a thumbdrive to save them on the next day. However, when I turned the laptop on the next day, it wouldn't boot up and gave me a "insert boot disk" problem. 
 - Nothing I did, including running 2 hours of diagnostic tests over the phone with an IT guy, worked. So, I took it in the office Tuesday and the IT folks said the harddrive was totally dead, and they were unable to retrieve anything off it, unless they sent it out to have a company painstakingly pull it apart and read bit by bit of data. That would be $2500, and my office has no budget. SO, despite losing various work files (most of everything I back up daily on a thumbdrive, thankfully) - there was no way to pay for the files. 
 - My next step was trying to retrieve the files from the camera- although I thought they were deleted (I moved them onto the laptop. A super-knowledgeable co-worker who deals with imagery daily has a software program that appeared to recover them, but they're currently on her laptop in a zipped format. I can't get them until next week. Hopefully they're all there. 
  SO... now you know WHY there's been a delay in posting the rest of the vacation adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy