Saturday, January 13, 2024

Hero of the Week: Dolly Parton calls terminal cancer patient to fulfill bucket list wish

 Dolly Parton will always be my hero. I've looked up to her since I was a teenager. She was my inspiration to become an optimist and appreciate the simple things in life. This story last month really touched me, as she learned about a terminal cancer patient who wanted to meet her, and she took the time to call him in his hospital bed. Today's blog also has a video of the call, too. 


(Caption: LeGrand Gold, Dolly PartonLeGrand Gold/Youtube; Kevin Winter/Getty Images)


Dolly Parton Fulfills Bucket-List Wish of Fan With Terminal Cancer  

After terminal cancer patient LeGrand 'LG' Gold wrote 'Meet Dolly Parton' on his bucket list, the country music superstar surprised him with a phone call just days before Christmas

Published 12/26/23, Daniel Trainor

Dolly Parton surprised a fan living with cancer with a little Christmas miracle.

After being diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer in 2021, LeGrand "LG" Gold wrote "Meet Dolly Parton" on his bucket list. The item was still left unchecked when Gold received some tragic news following a doctor's visit earlier this month.

"The scans showed the cancer spreading and getting outside of my liver, and so they said the chemo is not working anymore, the radiation is not working anymore," Gold told Utah's KSL-TV. "They just sent me home and said be with your family."

On Friday, however, the phone rang. "Hey, LG, it's Dolly P!" Parton's effervescent voice rang out. The singer continued, "Well, I've heard you've been a fan of mine for many years. I just wanted to thank you for that."

As Gold listened with a huge smile on his face, Parton said, "I'm just happy we got to have our journey together in this lifetime. I always want to make people happy with my music and things I do and the things I say. I'm just happy to know I've touched your life in some way."

With Gold's wife Alice filming the phone call, he responded, "You've been a huge help, especially these last two years."

VIDEO CALL: https://youtu.be/MNCdYXxFK-0?feature=shared

*****************************************

Parton vowed to "travel on" with Gold throughout his journey and said, "Just know that I will always love you." Hey, that sounds familiar. "I should have sung that, shouldn't I?" Parton quickly realized. So, Parton did just that. "I will always love you," Parton sang, "I will always love, LG."

As Alice and her husband said their goodbyes, she told Parton, "Best Christmas ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy