Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Our Childhood Church Experiences

 If you go to a good church, stay in it. If they treat you well, know your name and care for you, you're in a good place.
  Unfortunately, one of us didn't have that experience as a child.  My spouse endured a congregation ignoring a family when the father was dying, preaching to destroy televisions (because "they're evil"), calling gay people evil,  Saying that  gay people they "deserve to die young or burn in hell," spewing prejudices against people of other ethnicities and more outrageous things.  
   All of that crap was from a Baptist Church...   
   Fortunately,  I grew up in a Catholic church that just hated gay people like me.
    I will say that I've had the good fortune to attend 2 churches where the now former priests became friends. One is gay, one is straight and now married. I treasure their friendship today.
  What was interesting about the Catholic church, that was unlike the Baptist Church, is that attending Catholics didn't know I or anyone else existed. Although they "shake hands" during the mass, no one wanted to really know other people. In the Baptist church, my partner said that "They all wanted to get into your personal business." 
  
   So, if you join a church to find love, acceptance and care-stay in it.  

Today/ we're not affiliated with a religion and don't believe in organized religion. We believe there's a positive energy that runs through the cosmos (you can call it god if you want) and that everyone is connected to that energy source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy