Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Classic Batman Comic Collection - DC Showcase Batman Vol. 6

Batman is one of my favorite characters, and has been since I first saw him on the Batman TV show
in the 1960s. Back in the early 1970s my dad bought me my first comic books, and I've been reading them ever since. Comics inspired me to read and write my own stories, and I learned how to draw superheroes, too. One of the best times in all of Batman comics was in the 1970s, when Neal Adams was drawing Batman (he still does today on occasion) and Volume 6 of the DC Showcase Batman collection features a lot of his artwork and great stories by Denny O'Neill and others.
Batman 237 in this collection

Detective 414 in this collection
   It was a time when DC Comics moved away from the almost campy Batman of the 1960s and made Batman more of a shadowy figure. The early 1970s was also a time when writers made Batman much of the detective character he's supposed to be (and didn't have him fighting aliens and weird stuff). He solved mysteries and was sometimes even in circumstances that lent themselves to the paranormal.
   Truly the best collection of Batman stories on the shelf, and it's over 500 pages (in black and white). It's a shame DC Comics isn't publishing it anymore and you have to look on-line, or you may be lucky enough to find it in a comics shop. I will be re-reading this collection over and over again.
- Rob
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy