Wednesday, September 21, 2016

CT Pet Expo Adventure: Part 1 - Amtrak

Banners for my book and the Weimaraner Rescue I put up
Over the weekend of Sept. 10-11, I (Rob) took an Amtrak train up to Bridgeport, CT to the Connecticut Pet Expo to give a talk about "Pets and the Afterlife", represent the DC Area Weimaraner Rescue, sell my books, and also pitch my friend Nadine Poper's children's books about Dachshunds (check them on Amazon). Tom stayed home with the kids, so they were in good hands.

A Basset Hound at the Expo
   AMTRAK - If there's a way to travel, Amtrak is a great way to go. Trains are usually on time (within 5 minutes) and are clean. I had no issues with the train rides. Just a couple of notes.
1) CUSHION EXPERIENCE - The seat in the front of the car where I sat (because I had a very heavy suitcase packed with books) was apparently a common seat used by heavy people, because there was ZERO padding left in it.  - When I later moved I found the cushion was supposed to be 3" thick, not 1/2" thick! :)
 2) PACK FOOD AND BOTTLED WATER- I packed crackers and cookies. Getting up when you travel alone is not a good idea because your luggage sits there. Fortunately, I also sat near the restroom end of the car.
3) NICE RIDE- From Baltimore to Bridgeport, Connecticut the ride was about 6 hours.
4) CONVENIENT - What was convenient about the Pet Expo is that it was 3 blocks from the Amtrak Station, so I walked with my suitcases (I had 2). The hotel was just another 4 blocks away, so that was also easy to walk to, and there were both a DUNKIN DONUTS and an Italian Restaurant called "Ralph and Rich's"  (best Italian food!) where Tom and I got married in 2009, btw. So it was all convenient.
Ralph and Rich's in Bridgeport Great Italian Food

- After I got off the train I went right to the expo and set up my booth. I checked in the hotel and then had a nice Italian dinner at Ralph and Rich's restaurant.  The next day was the Pet Expo.

NEXT: THE PET EXPO 

THEN: THE CRAZINESS AT THE HOTEL



 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy