Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Dallas Trip #2: Historic Fort Worth: Square and Chisolm Trail Mural

 In today's blog, you'll read about another part of my short trip to NW Dallas and my visit with my friend Alex. We hadn't seen each other in many years, and it was great to catch up. Alex suggested a drive to Fort Worth, so we headed there, and I found some cool connections to Old West characters I love. I'll get to the history in the next blog or two, but today's blog is about a cool downtown square decorated for Christmas that we found and a huge mural that faces it.


SUNDANCE SQUARE - Alex and I found Sundance Square in the heart of the historic district and it was all decked out for Christmas, complete with a christmas tree. Sundance Square is a pedestrian-friendly downtown district packed with clothing chains, Western-wear shops, steakhouses and sports bars. It's also known as an entertainment hub, with small theaters, events and concerts at Sundance Square Plaza, and the Bass Performance Hall, staging opera, ballet and classical music. Nearby Fort Worth Water Gardens is a serene park with pools and waterfalls. 

(Photo: View of the Chisolm Trail mural on one side of Sundance Square - Cr; Rob G.) 

THE CHISOLM TRAIL MURAL -  Downtown's most iconic public art, the Chisholm Trail Mural located at the corner of Main and 3rd Streets, serves as a reminder of Fort Worth's rich cultural roots. This three-story Richard Haas trompe l’oeil mural spans the 1908 Jett Building’s southern facade in Sundance Square. The 1988 mural commemorates the Fort Worth segment of The Chisholm Trail cattle drives of 1867-1875.

 

(Photo: The Chisolm Trail Mural. Credit: https://www.fortworth.com/listings/chisholm-trail-mural/5935/) 

EXTRA (DALLAS) PIC BELOW - The photo at the bottom of this blog is one of the huge houses near the Dallas Love Field airport where I flew in at night. The GPS App took me through the most wealthy section of Dallas (unbeknownst to me) and I saw the most amazing residential christmas light displays!)


NEXT: A look at some of the historic sites around the downtown area.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy