Friday, January 17, 2020

In Memory of our Friend Linda (Passed 1-9-20)

Rob, Tom and Linda (2016) at Belmont Manor
Our friend Linda passed away last week on January 9, 2020. We loved spending time with Linda who had lots of fun stories of her life growing up in Louisiana, crazy adventures with her sister Judy, and her passion for work as an attorney at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Linda and I (Rob) met in 1992 when I went to work for her. She was an attorney with NOAA for many years and she and Randall (the other atty there at the time) brought me in to work on the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (remember the Exxon Valdez spill?) Back then, we were much more than co-workers. We became instant friends.
Linda's family

Linda at Tom
Every time my birthday came around in October she would surprise me with a bag of candy corn, having remembered that I love that sweet candy.

Linda has three adult children and loved cats, all things New Orleans, and English Teas. In fact, one year for her birthday she had an "afternoon tea" gathering that we enjoyed.

I remember one year when Linda and I had to travel to Boston for a conference. She stayed in a hotel, and I stayed with my parents (who lived 12 miles away). That day we flew in, Boston got hit with a bad snowstorm!! I remember my dad and mom driving me to Linda's hotel to get her for the conference, and then taking us to the meeting (which was somewhere in downtown Boston).

Lunchtime meetings were another fun thing we did for many years. Linda and I worked about 30 minutes from each other so we would meet in the middle at Burger King. Sometimes our friends Jason and Nancy (who worked with Linda) would join us, too. It was always a fun lunch. I think I'll have a Whopper Jr. in Linda's honor. That was her favorite Burger King sandwich.

Linda's Birthday Tea -Sunday, April 3, 2011 - This was the second time her kids (all grown) organized an afternoon tea, with sandwiches, great desserts, and all kinds of treats.
When Linda retired, she volunteered for helping out at the Strathmore Mansion in Bethesda, MD, working the afternoon teas. We enjoyed some teas with her there and also took her to the Belmont Manor in the Baltimore area for their afternoon English tea event. Linda also arranged for me to meet Mary, who manages the Strathmore mansion program, and as a result, I've been the featured speaker for 3 years during the Halloween Tea where I have shared my paranormal experiences. Linda was so thrilled that I was speaking at her favorite place, as am I. When I retunr the Strathmore afternoon tea, I know that Linda will be sitting there in the audience sipping her tea in spirit.
Stratmore Tea

When she couldn't drive anymore, Tom and I enjoyed picking her up at her house and taking her out to Panera Bread for her favorite soup lunch. She knew and we knew that she would eventually have to go into hospice, and she did, but she didn't want to be there.

I received a call from Linda's oldest son, Jim on January 13th, telling me that she passed. It was of course, shocking because I thought he was going to tell me she went into managed care. Linda always had a laugh and a fun story for everyone and now she'll be entertaining others in spirit, while still making us smile with memories of her.

Rob, Linda, Tom at Strathmore Tea- Tuesday, April 26, 2016
English Tea at the Mansion At Strathmore!
Recently our friend Linda treated us to an elegant English Tea at the Mansion At Strathmore in Bethesda, Maryland. The mansion is also a performing arts venue hosting diverse range of global musicians, and is on the same property as the Strathmore Concert Hall for larger concerts.   The tea featured a string quartet and wonderful small sandwiches, scones and other delectable delights. The tea was tasty and the elegant setting made for a nice way to spend a couple of hours with great company.







Thanks to Linda, I've been lecturing on Halloweens at Strathmore




Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy