Saturday, April 27, 2019

My "Secrets" on Maintaining Good Weight/Shape

L to R: 1995: Chris, David, Rob (at 33 yrs) at St. Pete, FL Beach
Back in 1995, I weighed 140 pounds. today, in 2019, I weigh 139 and have more muscle. I recently met a guy from Thailand who thought I was in my mid-30s!  (Of course, he must have ignored my many smile-lines/wrinkles). :)

 When I look at a picture from 1995 (that I recently found) and look at one taken today in 2019 - I think I look as defined (maybe more toned) than I did 24 years ago. That means anyone can do it!
 
SO HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I'm in my mid-50s and I'm not a gym nut now (but used to go in my 30s and 40s). However I do workout 3 times a week at home and do a good amount of dog walking (about twice a day). If you're in your 30s, 40s or 50s, it's not too late to maintain good health, and stay in shape. Here are my "secrets" to staying at a good weight and keeping in shape...

Rob in Jan 2019
SECRET #1: Don't over eat. It's easy to do. When you go out, eat 1/2 a sandwich. When you make a sandwich at home, make 1/2 a sandwich. - We were brought up to finish what's on the plate- so make whatever is on it, LESS!   - If you eat out with someone, split a sandwich, or a big burrito, or pizza. 

SECRET #2: Limit snacking. In the mid-morning, if I'm teleworking I have 2 pieces of toast. In the afternoon, just a handful or 2 of dried cranberries works to fill me up, with a glass of water (flavored with some cranberry juice). 

Tyler says "exercise!"
SECRET #3: Drink coffee or tea with no sugar or cream. I drink black coffee, and lots of it (some can't handle it). Coffee and tea are great for you for a couple of reasons: the caffeine gives you energy to exercise more and the light acid helps digest foods better and break down fat from the foods you eat.  **Every weekday morning for the last 52 years (Since I was 4) I've had pop tarts for breakfast and still do with my coffee. You can, too!

Rob in Dec 2018 at 56
SECRET #4: Skip a big lunch. I have a protein bar, a fiber bar and more black coffee. It fills you up. Since most people eat and go back to their desks and sit, they can't burn off the calories. So, don't consume a lot of them!
 

SECRET #5: Take the stairs.  Even if it's one flight, take the stairs. Every bit helps.


SECRET #6: Appreciate little things. Give your dog a hug, make someone smile, buy a stranger a cup of coffee who is standing in line behind you. Tell someone "thanks." What does that have to do with staying in shape? Mental fitness is part of physical fitness. 






Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy