Monday, June 23, 2008

Property - A Good Reason we need Equal Rights- and a Civil Union Law!

On Friday, June 21st, Tom and I took the afternoon off to get my truck also registered in his name. We did this for two reasons: 1) To save a LOT on insurance 2) so he inherits it if something happens to me. Turns out if we were MARRIED, we'd pay a small tax ($50) and that would be it. However, because gay people can't get legally married, the time, inconvenience and expenses are ridiculous.
I had to get another copy of my title, because I misplaced it, but I also had to get the lien taken out of the Dept. of Motor Vehicles system- so we went to the MVA to do that ($20).
I had to treat Tom as a total stranger, and write a Bill of Sale to him (and also put my name on it too, as the buyer). Then get it notarized. Then, I had to get another Maryland State Vehicle Inspection ($79) and over an hour's time.
Then we drafted a power of attorney for me to act for Tom when I re-register the vehicle in both names- and got that notarized. Next, I have to turn in the old plates, pay $50 tax (minimum to sell a vehicle to anyone in Md.), then $320 for a new title and plates. -
I have to take more time off to do that, too. Bottom line for gay couples to put both names on a vehicle $470. For legally married couples: $50.
How does that make EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy