Friday, July 31, 2026

Book of the Week: Secrets of the Greek Revival by Eva Pohler

I recently enjoyed the book, "Secrets of the Greek Revival, " by Eva Pohler. This is the first book in the "Mystery House Series" where three female friends in their 50s investigate seemingly abandoned properties. In the first of the series, they purchase the property and uncover the history and mysteries of it, focusing on a reputed haunting, hidden gold and a house that held secrets of tortured or abused patients. It's a well-written story that will keep you reading. I finished the book in a week, which is pretty fast for me! The characters are all likeable and the mystery that unfolds is more history than paranormal (I read it for the paranormal aspect), but I enjoyed it. It's a good story and a 5 of 5 star read.  


ABOUT THE BOOK: Some houses remember what the world tried to forget.

When three empty-nest friends purchase a neglected 1860s Greek Revival in San Antonio's historic district, they believe they're investing in a renovation project-and a fresh start.

They aren't expecting the attic footsteps. Or the woman in white.

Ellen has always been practical, skeptical, grounded in reality. But when strange occurrences escalate and long-buried records surface, even she can't ignore the truth: the house is holding onto something.

Decades earlier, the property operated as a private medical residence for women-patients declared unstable, difficult, or hysterical. Their diagnoses were signed. Their confinement justified. Their stories erased.Until now.

As Ellen, Sue, and Tanya dig into hospital archives, interview guarded neighbors, and uncover evidence someone doesn't want exposed, they realize this isn't just a haunting.It's a reckoning. Because the women who suffered behind those walls were silenced in life. And they will not remain silent in death.

In this gripping opening to the Mystery House Series, friendship, history, and the supernatural collide in a story about forgotten voices, buried truths, and three women brave enough to listen. Content Note: This novel explores historical injustices, including references to sexual assault within the context of institutional abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy