Friday, February 1, 2019

A Lesson in Collecting and a Book Review: Superman in the Sixties:

I'm a huge fan of Superman, and recently bought an (out of print) copy of the trade paperback "Superman in the Sixties" story collection.  It was one of 5 trades that covered stories of Superman over 5 decades. The others were Superman in the 40s, 50s, 70s and 80s. Of all five collections, this one was my least favorite (I really liked the other 4 collections). In this blog, I'll tell you WHY I didn't care for it, and the cost issue. - There's also a lesson here for everyone who wants to get one thing to finish/complete a collection of things...

WHY I DIDN'T LIKE THIS COLLECTION -    First, I'm tired of the "Superman's death" stories. This volume had several of those, with different angles. It's old and tired. This volume also was filled with stories from the Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane comic runs, and NOT Superman in the 1960s. There were a lot of 1960s Superman stories they could have used instead of running Lois and Jimmy stories (don't get me wrong, I like those characters and their books, but this wasn't supposed to be "Superman's pals in the 60s"). 

THE FRUSTRATING COST PART - This Trade originally sold for $19.95 when released in the year 1999. It's now out of print. The companion books, Superman of the 40s, 50s, 70s and 80s are all available for $10 or less on the Internet. For some reason, the 1960s issue was always priced at $50 or more. I finally got it for $20, and it wasn't worth it. 

BOTTOM LINE - Sometimes when you want to complete a collection, wait for the cost to go down. If I spent $50 on this book, I would have been pretty disgusted with myself!

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy